COMESA publishes new Merger decisions
In the past week, the COMESA Competition Commission published the following decisions in its most recent merger cases, resulting from the CCC’s 14th meeting:
- Case 1/15: Cannon (insurance) – decision time: 176 days – 4 member states affected.
- Case 2/15: ImproChem (water treatment) – decision time: 166 days – 12 member states affected.
- Case 3/15: Chlor Arkali (food-grade salt) – decision time: 135 days – 3 member states affected.
…and from its 15th meeting:
- Case 4/15: Telkom SA (information and telecom technology) – decision time: 11 days (!) – 10 member states affected
- Case 5/15: Platform Specialty Products (fungicides, herbicides, and insecticides) – decision time: 112 days – 9 member states affected
Of note are the following:
- The record time — 11 calendar days — in which the CCC resolved the Telkom transaction in favor of the South African provider, which aquired a BBBEE entity, despite the fact that the affected geographies encompassed 10 COMESA member states.
- The average time it took for the CCC to clear these 5 transactions was 120 days from notification to decision.
- All 5 notified transactions were unconditionally approved.
- The voting Commission members were, in all cases, Chilufya Sampa (Zambia), Thabisile Langa (Swaziland), and Alexander Kububa (Zimbabwe).
AAT’s updated COMESA merger statistics are thus as follows: