Four new Commissioners sworn in – while COMESA’s own site fails to make announcement
We do not commonly report on news from the Seychelles here on AAT, but today, the Office of the President of the Seychelles has in fact beat AAT (as well as the COMESA Competition Commission itself (!)) to it: as the Office reports, the 18th COMESA Summit, held on 30th March 2015 in Addis Ababa, (a city that I have fallen in love with, by the way), saw the swearing-in of four new COMESA Competition Commissioners.
The summit also saw the swearing in of Mr. George Tirant, Chief Executive Officer of the Seychelles Fair Trading Commission. Mr. Tirant was appointed as a commissioner on the COMESA Competition Commission, alongside representatives from Egypt, Uganda and Ethiopia.
We have not yet identified the other new members that were sworn in this week, but in admitting so we note in the same breath that it is surprising for the authority itself not to have this relevant item anywhere on its site, neither in the News category nor anywhere else. Indeed, the reader looks in vain for even a cursory Press Release announcing that 4 new Commissioners were seated for a new term of 3 years each. COMESA’s site still shows the outdated list of its Commissioners (copied below the photo below).
AAT notes that, in addition to the four new competition commissioners, the 19-country IGO also welcomed new:
- Judge President and Judges of the Appellate Division of the COMESA Court of Justice
- Principal Judge and Judges of the First Instance Division of the COMESA Court of Justice
- the COMESA Committee of Elders
[Outdated] List of Commissioners from Comp Comm web site:
- Commissioner Alexander Juvensio Kububa : Chairperson of the Board of Commissioners and former Chief Executive Officer of the Competition and Tariff Commission of Zimbabwe.
- Commissioner Mathews Chikankheni: Vice Chairperson of the Board of Commissioner and President of the Malawi Confederation of Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
- Commissioner Ali Mohamed Afkada: Inspector General des Services Judiciarisés’ de Djibouti.
- Commissioner Daniel Phillip Gappy – Former Chief Executive Officer of Fair Trading Commission of Seychelles and Chief Executive Officer of Seychelles Licensing Authority.
- Commissioner Rajeev Hasnah: former Deputy Director of Competition Commission of Mauritius.
- Commissioner Francis Kariuki: Director General of Competition Authority of Kenya.Commissioner Rajeev Hasnah: Chief Economist and Deputy Executive Director of the Competition Commission of Mauritius.
- Commissioner Thabisile Pearl Langa’: Chief Executive Officer of Swaziland Competition Commission.
- Commissioner Rostom Omar: Former Legal Counselor of Egyptian Competition Commission.
- Commissioner Chilufya Sampa: Chief Executive Officer of Competition Commission of Zambia